Adapting the space in the home to coexist with pets is essential to ensure the comfort and well-being of both pets and people. A well-prepared home is not only a comfortable and safe place for pets, but also for owners. By considering the needs of both, you can create a home space that is safe, comfortable and happy for everyone.
- In Spain there are more than 29 million pets, among which more than 9 million are dogs and more than 5 million are cats.
- One out of every two families lives with a pet.
- 2% of families have a pet; increasing significantly compared to 2019 (39.7%) largely due to the Covid pandemic, according to the Pet Study conducted in June 2021 by Veterindustria in collaboration with the National Association of Pet Food Manufacturers (ANFAAC).
- The presence of pets at home is greater than that of children.
Having a pet is a great responsibility, it has become a member of the family and therefore, it is important to give them the love, care and education necessary for their health and well-being.
6 tips to make your pet feel at home:
- A SPACE OF YOUR OWN, DEDICATED TO REST AND RELAXATION AND TO FEEL AT EASE.
Set aside a space in the house for our pets to rest. The place must be clean, with a pleasant temperature and free of noises and bad smells since it will be their comfort and relaxation area.
- CHOOSING A COMFORTABLE BED
Choose a comfortable bed, according to its size, and if possible padded for comfort and with insulating materials to avoid direct contact with the floor. This way it is protected from the cold and temperature changes.
It is important to designate a specific place for pets to associate it with feeding time. It is important to choose the type of food that best suits each pet. For both dogs and cats there is a variety of foods that should be adapted to the size and characteristics of our animals.
- HYGIENE ZONE
For cats we must have a litter box that is away from the areas where they eat, play or rest. The litter should be cleaned every day with a litter scoop, and be sure to remove the litter completely at least once a week.
In the case of dogs, there is a place inside the house to have a dog bath, there are models that simulate grass and have a great power of absorbency and odor elimination. Or in the case of puppies, training sheets to teach them to go to the bathroom.
In both cases it is important to pick up your pet’s feces every day, dispose of them safely in a bowl and clean and keep the place disinfected.
- PLAY WITH THEM
It is important to dedicate moments of play with them not only for the animal’s welfare but also for our own. In addition, when pets are entertained, they will stop chewing on clothes or furniture. In the case of dogs, a ball and rope or rubber toys are ideal. While cats like toys with sounds and movements so they can hunt.